Total Pageviews

Monday, December 20, 2010

Funny Christmas Gifts Written for One Stop Poetry

Well, it does have an H in it.  Could it be for Holiday?

Many years ago when my siblings and myself were in our teens our family started a tradition on Christmas Eve.  If someone had an ailment, a funny thing happen to them, or what ever we could think of, we bought funny gifts.   This tradition soon took over and what we looked forward to every year.

Honestly, we ended spending more money on funny gifts than the  traditional ones, but oh, how we laughed through the night.

No one was safe, parents included.  Thus the picture of the Preparation H.  One year my mother battled with this problem and everyone heard about it.  So!  For Christmas she got tons of tubes.  However, we learned the real truth.  Somewhere she read it took swelling and bags under the eyes away. She was actually thrilled to get the tubes!

I was young and cruised nightly at the local "Manners"  that year for Christmas I got flashlights, a manners hat and menu and a special red light for the top of my car with a sign that said "Manners Patrol"  all homemade of course.

My Italian Father was 'somewhat' of a gambler.  We went to the local Horse races and got him all kinds of racing programs and books on betting tips.

We made chick magnets for my brothers, bought zit cream and so many to list I can't even recall all of them.

These Christmas's I remember the most.  The laughter, sometimes the defensive shock and then laughter.  It took us hours to open presents and it brought our memories together.  Each Christmas to this day, we talk about those and laugh.   How easy it is to make a tradition, especially one to bring family's together in only a way they can understand


Wysteria

9 comments:

  1. Well... Now that I re read the site, I think I posted a really non related topic. However, I will blame it on the pain pills I am still currently taking from having surgery.

    Ugh... Merry Christmas, or is that Happy Halloween?

    Wysteria

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehehhe once I recieved two bottle of hair spray for christmas...I have no hair:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this story - and think better get some really funny or even a bit a weird present from someone who had fun buying it than sth boring and practical...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that idea, buying a funny gift, takes the stress away from Christmas shopping

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny, how we always remember that one truly strange gift we got for Christmas? It made us laugh even if it wasn't meant to be?

    Once my husband got this corduroy shirt with ducks on it from his mother. It was about 15 years ago. We keep it just for a laugh...lol

    I am sure she would be insulted if she knew we did. Sorry.... I know it's the gift that counts, but, no one would wear this shirt, especially during hunting season!

    Wysteria

    ReplyDelete
  6. uhm... that should read....."The thought that counts, not the gift" I got to get off this stuff

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a wonderful idea! it certainly would give lots of laughs!
    great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. My mom's work used to a gift exchange of funny gifts, and with how it worked, you could give it away as someone else opened theirs, rather than keeping it. They always had a great time with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this was perfect- this is a special memory and tradition and how fun to read about. I had a close friend and their family did something similar even as adults they wanted to continue.

    How great are memories

    thanks for sharing and the merriest of Christmases

    ReplyDelete